REASONS WHY I LOVE NYC + LESSONS LEARNED
Updated: Oct 13, 2019
They say if you can make it in New York City, you can make it anywhere. After a few years of living and working in the city, I'm confident that's the case.
I do miss the quaint suburbs at times. Driving a car, having a backyard, seeing grass, using a shopping cart at the grocery store, not competing with a billion people to get into a workout class, not making dinner reservations a month in advance, taking an athletic walk and not playing frogger with cars or people - you catch my drift at this point.
I moved to NYC to continue my career in Human Resources - I work in luxury fashion at my dream company. "Retail is fast," they say. YUP, it is - and the only thing constant in retail is change. If you are adaptable and can groove off of change, you'll thrive. Do it for the business, they say. For someone who is stubborn at times, an extroverted introvert, and loves process and routine, this was a change but I AM SO HERE FOR IT and love it.
Here are a few reasons why I love NYC:
1) NYC stretches you. You work long hours, you're constantly social and stimulated whether it's walking down the street, at work, at the grocery store. It stretches you in every way mentally, physically, spiritually, and definitely emotionally. You learn to toughen your skin.
2) The opportunities are endless. You never know who you could run into on the street or at your office. It's also amazing having a business on social media because you can make friends anywhere and it's super easy to network!
3) It's expensive but it teaches you how to truly be fiscally responsible and 'make it work' even if you are in a more junior level job. You have to learn to say no to certain things (nails, random target runs, $7 coffee), but you can make a dollar stretch far.
4) You learn to become a minimalist. Our apartments are small so you cannot have excess of anything. As a blogger, you definitely accumulate a lot of extra clothes, products, etc. but you have to be creative! Perhaps bring some treats to your office or gift them to a friend? Only keeping your vitals definitely keeps you more calm.
5) NYC has taught me control. In a city of chaos, I'm tested every single day. Living in the city has taught me to plan (even better than before) and that 'it's all about delivery.' You can easily experience 'analysis paralysis' from so many options but you have to lean into your life plans, even up to when you'll cook or do a face mask. Days fly here!
NYC has held a close spot in my heart for a few years now. I know that no matter where I go in my life, that I'll always take my lessons and reasons for loving NYC with me. Also, if you are thinking about moving to NYC, do it. Appreciate your roots but you will never regret the invaluable experiences that are bound to ensue. Don't be afraid to take the leap of faith. XOXO